A quick reminder of Golden rules to avoid Ransomware and become hostage!
Ransomware mainly targets desktop systems. To protect your home or office systems from a ransomware attack, take the following steps:
- Ensure you have regular backups and that those backups are offline. They must not be accessible from the workstation that is being backed up to ensure that ransomware cannot also encrypt your backups when you get infected.
- Install the latest security patches for Windows, OSX, Android, iPhone and any other operating system that you use. Along with backups, this is the most effective thing you can do to protect yourself.
- Install any application updates, especially browser updates. Make sure you are not running an old vulnerable browser, or else simply visiting a compromised website can infect you.
- Install a desktop antivirus solution and ensure it has updated virus signatures, or alternatively, enable Windows Defender, which is free.
- Do not open attachments or downloaded files from untrusted sources. Avoid using file attachments completely if you can, and use cloud services like Google Docs instead.
- Do not click links in emails from people you do not trust.
Do you need help?